The Pulitzer-Prize nominated, internationally best-selling book, “Not Without My Daughter,” written by Betty Mahmoody after her miraculous escape along with her daughter, recounts the horrors of eighteen months of their unimaginable journey to freedom. “Not Without My Daughter” was made into a major motion picture starring Academy Award winner, Sally Field and Alfred Molina.
Betty Mahmoody born June 9, 1945 in Alma, Michigan, is an American author and public speaker best known for her book, Not Without My Daughter.
Her book, Not Without My Daughter, is an account of her experiences in 1984–86, when she left Alpena, Michigan to go to Iran with her husband and daughter for what she was promised would be a short visit. Once there, she and her daughter were held against their will.
Continue reading “Speaking of Real Stories…”
The idea of dogs rescuing their human masters captures our love and affection. So it’s only natural to love hearing about dogs who save people in real life!
Here are 5 true accounts of dogs who saved people from perilous circumstances…
Hurricane Katrina was a miserable occurence for everyone down south, but inspiring stories of heroism have helped give victims something to smile about. That’s certainly the case with Katrina, the ironically named black labrador who saved a drowning man before rising flood waters claimed his life. The dog, who was later rescued herself by rescue teams, was honored at that year’s Genesis Awards with a standing ovation.
Continue reading “Heroic Dogs!”
Did you know?
- Dogs are capable of understanding up to 250 words and gestures.
- Cant count up to 5.
- Can perform simple mathematical calculations.
- Average dog is as intelligent as a 2-year-old child.
- The wetness of a dog’s nose is essential for determining what direction a smell is coming from.
- Dog’s nose prints are as unique as a human’s finger prints and can be used to accurately identify them.
- A one year old dog is as mature, physically, as a 15 year old human.
- Dogs have no sense of “time”.
- The largest breed of dog is the Irish Wolfhound.
- The world’s smallest dog breed is the Chihuahua.
- The St. Bernard is the heaviest.
- And, they are naturally submissive to any creature with higher pack status – human or canine.
These are a few of the many facts about our favorite pet! Hope you like it.
xoxo, Quirky Girl.
A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn’t care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he’ll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?
-Marley & Me
Would really love your comments and insights on enhancing my blog!
Hers’s the link to my About page:
Hakuna Matata people!